- Hazardous Waste Day
2024 Household Hazardous Waste Day
Every fall the district hosts a hazardous waste collection day for all Weston County residents to bring their hazardous waste for proper recycling or disposal. The district does not charge residents for this service, but it is requested that a monetary donation or a donation of food be provided. Monetary donations help defray the cost of waste disposal, while food donations are passed on to the Bread Office.
When: The 2024 Hazardous Waste Day will be September 21, 2024
Location: Newcastle Elementary School parking lot
Time: 10 am to 1 pm
While we don’t charge for this service, we do ask that anyone bringing items for disposal please also bring food to donate to the Bread Office, our local food bank distribution in Weston County.
Items the Bread Office is in need of include:
- Baking items: flour, sugar, powdered milk, baking soda, etc.
- Box cake mixes: think birthday party items! Frosting, candles, the works!
- Canned drinks, cereal and snack items
- Diapers and wipes! Personal hygiene items and toiletries
These are items we often don’t think about but are needed!
So, what can I bring?
That is a great question! The district can take a wide variety of Items at the hazardous waste day, including:
- Automotive– (DO NOT MIX AUTO FLUIDS) antifreeze, oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, car batteries
- Paints/Solvents- latex or oil based paints, paint stripper, paint thinner, wood preservatives
- Lawn & Garden-fertilizers, pesticides, rodent poisons, fungicides
- Home- bleach, disinfectants, drain cleaner, glues, nail polish remover, household batteries, florescent light tubes, aerosols, lighter fluid
- Electronics- computers, monitors, household printers, laptops , televisions
The Newcastle Police also offer prescription drug disposal at the waste day.
This is a list of common items. Please direct any specific questions to the district office
If local business would like to bring their waste, the District will charge a disposal fee for the item(s). Please contact the District to enquire on specific costs and we can let the Contractor know what is coming.
How much have we collected?
Here is a quick look at what the district collected at our Hazardous Waste Day in Upton in 2023:
|Paint and Paint Products||1616||gal|
This totals to over 3000 pounds and 2200 gallons of hazardous waste kept out of the local landfills! We also collected around 175 pounds of food and $375 in cash donations for the Upton Food Bank. For reference, the district paid a total of $12,322.97 to cover the disposal costs for this waste.
Please Contact the district if your business is interested in becoming a sponsor
CITY OF NEWCASTLE
CITY OF UPTON