The district helps Weston County residents dispose of waste appropriately by providing a cost share for septic maintenance as well as by holding an annual Household Hazardous Waste Day.
Through the septic maintenance program the district provides $100 for district members to get their septic system maintained. This can be applied for every two yeas. For more information on the districts septic maintenance program click here
Household Hazardous Waste Day
Every fall the district hosts a hazardous waste collection day for all Weston County residents to bring their hazardous waste for proper recycling or disposal. The district does not charge residents for this service, but it is requested that a monetary donation or a donation of food be provided. Monetary donations help defray the cost of waste disposal, while food donations are passed on the the Bread Office.
2021 Household Hazardous Waste Day
When: Saturday, September 25th
Location: Newcastle Elementary School parking lot
Time: 10 am to 1 pm
So, what can I bring?
That is a great question! The district can take a wide variety of Items at the hazardous waste day, including:
- Automotive– (DO NOT MIX AUTO FLUIDS) antifreeze, oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, car batteries
- Paints/Solvents- latex or oil based paints, paint stripper, paint thinner, wood preservatives
- Lawn & Garden-fertilizers, pesticides, rodent poisons, fungicides
- Home- bleach, disinfectants, drain cleaner, glues, nail polish remover, household batteries, florescent light tubes, aerosols, lighter fluid
- Electronics- computers, monitors, household printers, laptops , televisions
The Newcastle Police also offer prescription drug disposal at the waste day.
This is a list of common items. Please direct any specific questions to the district office
How much have we collected?
Here is a quick look at what the district collected in 2019 and 2020:
|8,869||pounds||Paint and paint products|
|330||gallons||Bulk liquid fuels|
This totals to over 21,000 pounds and nearly 500 gallons of waste collected in just two years! We have also collected $1,473 in donations and 350 pounds of food for the Bread Office. For reference, the district also paid a total of $37,564 to cover the disposal costs for this waste.
PLEASE BE SURE TO GIVE A big thankyou to our sponsors!
CITY OF NEWCASTLE